From The Molecular Ecology Resources bioinformatics wiki
|Author(s)||Mark P. Miller.|
|Last release||version 1.3 – 1997.|
Program highlights and capabilities
“Tools for Population Genetic Analyses [(TFPGA) is] a Windows program for the analysis of allozyme and molecular population genetic data [...]. Additional features include the ability to analyze hierarchical data sets as well as data from either codominant markers such as allozymes or dominant markers such as AFLPs or RAPDs.” (Miller, 2000)
“TFPGA has been designed to make the analysis of your data as easy as possible. The core of the program is an integrated text editor that facilitates data entry or the viewing of results.” (Miller, 1997).
The following analyses can be run in TFPGA (Miller, 1997):
- Population’s descriptive statistics (e.g. allele and heterozygote frequencies, heterozygosity estimates, percent polymorphic loci estimates).
- F-statistics (Fis, Fit and Fst estimates).
- Genetic distances (e.g. Nei's original  and unbiased  distance and identity measures, coancestry identity/distance [Reynolds et al., 1983]).
- Tests for Hardy Weinberg equilibrium (Chi square, G and exact tests; only available for diploid/codominant marker data sets).
- Exact tests for population differentiation.
- Mantel test.
“TFPGA is designed to work with any system running Windows 3.1 or later (this includes Windows 95 and NT). Approximately 1 MB of hard-drive space is required for program files. Given that most analyses are computationally involved, a fast 486 or Pentium-class CPU is highly recommended.” (Miller, 1997).
“Run the file "setup.exe" from either Program Manager or File Manager to start installation. You will be asked to name a directory to which the program files should be copied. If desired, simply select the default installation directory ("c:\TFPGA"). If, during the installation procedure, you receive an error message reporting that a "file is in use", select "O.K.". When installation is complete, a new Program Manager group will be created that contains icons for TFPGA and its accompanying "help" file.” (Miller, 1997).
- “TFPGA is being distributed free of charge to anyone who cares to use it.” (Miller, 1997).
- Miller, M. 2000. Mark Miller’s Analytical Software Page [Online]. Website last modified on May 1, 2000 (accessed on September 27, 2011). Available at http://www.marksgeneticsoftware.net/
- Miller, M.P. 1997. Tools for Population Genetic Analyses (TFPGA) [Documentation file]. Available with the program’s installation files at http://www.marksgeneticsoftware.net/tfpga.htm
- Nei, M. 1972. Genetic distance between populations. American Naturalist 106(949): 283-292.
- Nei, M. 1978. Estimation of average heterozygosity and genetic distance from a small number of individuals. Genetics 89(3): 583-590.
- Reynolds, J.; B.S. Weir & C.C. Cockerham. 1983. Estimation of the coancestry coefficient: basis for a short term genetic distance. Genetics 105(3): 767-779.
(For additional comments see discussion board Discussion).