Genetic Data Analysis
From The Molecular Ecology Resources bioinformatics wiki
|Genetic Data Analysis|
|Author(s)||Paul O. Lewis and Dmitri Zaykin.|
|Category||Population genetics, teaching programs.|
|Last release||version 1.1, January 7, 2002.|
Genetic Data Analysis (GDA) “[...] was written by Paul O. Lewis and Dmitri Zaykin specifically to accompany [Weir’s (1996)] book.” (Lewis, 2002).
Program highlights and capabilities
“GDA is a Microsoft Windows program that performs analyses on discrete genetic (i.e., allelic) data. The analyses performed by GDA are described in [Weir (1996)].” (Lewis, 2002).
“It computes linkage and Hardy-Weinberg disequilibrium, some genetic distances, and provides method-of-moments estimators for hierarchical F-statistics.” (Lewis, 2006).
- The version referred here suits only 32-bit Operating Systems.
- Windows 95 or later, Mac OS 10.2.8 or later.
The authors recommend citing their program as follows:
- Lewis, P.O., and Zaykin, D. 2002. Genetic Data Analysis: Computer program for the analysis of allelic data. Version 1.1. Free program distributed by the authors over the internet from http://hydrodictyon.eeb.uconn.edu/people/plewis/software.php (Lewis, 2002).
- The older version of the executable file (i.e. for Windows 3.1x, 16-bit OS) is not longer available on the program’s site.
- Authors recommend to “[...] ensure that [the] computer's clock is set to the correct date before using GDA.” (Lewis, 2002).
- “On 11 January 2008 [...] the download format from self-extracting zip archive to a simple zip archive [was changed]. [...] The new zip file contains an additional example data file (fbi99.nex) included at the request of Bruce Weir [...].” (Lewis, 2006).
- “[There is a] command-line-only version of GDA that runs under Mac OS 10.2.8 and 10.3. [...] you should open a terminal window, navigate to the folder containing the file, and type "chmod +x gda1.1" to make GDA executable.” (Lewis, 2006).
- Lewis, P.O. 2002. Genetic Data Analysis’ readme [Documentation file]. Version 1.1. Free program distributed by the author over the internet. Distribution site last modified in 2006 (accessed on August 18, 2011) Available at from http://hydrodictyon.eeb.uconn.edu/people/plewis/software.php
- Lewis, P.O. 2006. Paul Lewis Phylogenetics’ software page [Online]. Website last modified in 2006 (accessed on August 18, 2011) Available at http://hydrodictyon.eeb.uconn.edu/people/plewis/software.php
- Weir, B.S. 1996. Genetic Data Analysis II: Methods for Discrete Population Genetic Data. Sinauer Associates, Inc. Sunderland, MA. 376p.
(For additional comments see discussion board Discussion).